Welcome to the Village of Brooklyn
Located in both Dane and Green Counties Wisconsin, the Village is conveniently located half way between Madison and Janesville off Highway 14. Our neighborly small-town (population 1413) has excellent amenities: a great school system; three Village parks; and a community center, which makes Brooklyn a great place to live!
TAX COLLECTION 2021 PAYABLE 2022
You should have received or will receive this week your 2021 real estate/personal property tax bill (s) payable 2022. If you mail your tax payment and would like a receipt, please enclose a stamped, self-addressed envelope. A December 31st postmark will be receipted as a 2021 payment. If you prefer to pay in person, bring your tax bill so that we can stamp it paid. Since everything is computerized, our office no longer has duplicate tax bills. You are able to log on to each county's website and get tax info/receipts throughout the year. The websites are: Green: www.co.green.wi.gov followed by clicking on Land Information & GIS, then Land Records & Mapping applications, then under Land Records System click on Ascent Land Records Suite. Dane: [email protected] and search for name, address or parcel number. This is very helpful for those that need copies during income tax filing time.
Our office hours are 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday, with the exception of December 24th we are closed all day for Christmas Eve, and December 31 we are closed all day for New Year's Eve. We will not be open any Saturdays for tax collection. Tax payments are due in our office by 5:00 p.m. January 31st . Tax payments received in our office after 5:00 p.m. January 31st have to be turned over to the county. Tax payments postmarked on or before January 31 will be marked as received on time. The Village will not receive their portion of funds received after January 31 from the county until August. Timely payment received in the Clerk's Office on or before January 31st helps the Village's cash flow.
The Village's mill rate is $9.573465 (decrease of 15 cents) in Green County and $9.246611 (decrease of 5 cents) in Dane County. The net combined rate for Green County is $27.77/$1000 (increase of 38 cents) and Dane County is $24.87/$1000 (increase of 46 cents) of assessed value. The First Dollar credit for this year is $77.96 and lottery credit is $276.51.
The following chart shows tax levies in comparison to last year:
2020 2021 Increase/Decrease
Dane County $ 284,537 $ 318,586 + $ 34,049
Green County $ 181,251 $ 189,609 + $ 8,358
Village $1,009,997 $1,018,558 + $ 8,561
Oregon Schools $1,345,342 $1,385,594 +$ 40,252
MATC $ 103,870 $ 107,535 +$ 3,665
TOTAL LEVY $2,924,997 $3,019,882 +$ 94,885
DID YOU RECEIVE YOUR LOTTERY CREDIT?
- You must own your home in Wisconsin
- You must have occupied that home as your primary residence on January 1, 2021. A primary residence is the home in which a property owner lives for more than six (6) months of the year. If temporarily away, a primary residence is the home to which the owner returns. If you feel that you qualify for the credit, and there is not a Lottery Credit on your tax bill, contact our office for a claim form before January 30th. You may also print a form from the Wisconsin Department of Revenue website at: www.dor.state.wi.us.
It is your responsibility to notify the County Treasurer within 30 days if the property no longer qualifies for the Lottery Credit.
DOG & CAT LICENSES (Paid by separate check from taxes)
All dogs and cats five months and older, kept within the Village, must be licensed each year by January 31st. License fees for 2022 are as follows:
DANE: $22 for unaltered dog GREEN: $17 for unaltered dog
$17 for spayed/neutered dog $12 for spayed/neutered dog
$5 for cats $5 for cats
You will need to bring proof of current rabies vaccination. Village Ordinance Chapter 6 states it is unlawful for any person to keep or harbor more than 3 dogs or 3 cats over ten weeks of age within the Village. "Person" is defined to include collectively all persons residing within a residence.
NOTE: Tax payments need to be separate from other payments to the Village, i.e., dog and cat licenses, utility payments. Also if you have property located in both counties, separate checks are required.
1) Mail -- If you mail your tax payment and would like a receipt, please enclose a stamped, self-addressed envelope. A December 31st postmark will be receipted as a 2021 payment.
2) Dropbox - put your payment in the dropbox located between the Clerk's Office and the Post Office, and if you would like a receipt, include a stamped, self-addressed envelope or an email address.
3) Credit Card - on Village website www.brooklynwi.gov. Using the Payment Tab on the Home page of the website, click on Official Payments or GovPayNet. There is a fee from both companies for this service.
4) In person - at the Clerk's Office - 210 Commercial Street
Go to the Budget page for the 2022 budget, or stop in the clerk's office to view a copy.
Call us at 455-4201, ext 1 or 2, if you have questions.
It is a pleasure to serve the residents of this community.
HAPPY HOLIDAYS FROM THE
VILLAGE BOARD AND VILLAGE EMPLOYEES
ADRC - AGING AND DISABILITY RESOURCES
This information has been moved and can be found under the Community - Links Tab at the top of the this page.
Dane County Library Service Bookmobile
The Dane County Bookmobile invites children of all ages to check us out on
ABBREVIATED HOURS BEGIN JUNE 1!!
Hold pickup and returns ONLY;
No onboard service!
Thursdays, 5:00-6:00 in
Brooklyn, at the gazebo
For more information, call the Bookmobile office at 266-9297 or check out their schedule at www.dcls.info.
AVAILABLE AT CLERK'S OFFICE OR CLICK ON LINK ABOVE