During preparation to reconstruct Wisconsin Highway 92 (from the west side of Brooklyn through the village in Green County, April through October of 2003), one of Brooklyn’s historical buildings was torn down. Knowing of the coming demolition its last owner of the building had been battling with the state trying to keep this property. Already making some repairs and trying to bring the building up to code, frustrations grew as pressure from officials worked to remove this building. In the end, the owner was given ‘fair market price’ and the demolition was scheduled. Originally built in 1930, the highway was in poor condition. Supporting the Department of Transportation’s determination of meeting the public needs, the highway needed to be widened and repaved to accommodate the constant traffic. Although its structure was changed over the years, the former feed mill building was built in 1882. It owned by a stock, grain and produce business known as Richards, Graves and Roberts, Farmers Mutual Benefit & Trading Co. and then, Wm. Borst & Son. The feed mill was a very prominent business employing local citizens and did very cheap lasix well in the Brooklyn area. In the early years being close to the tracks for shipping was a plus, indeed. Previous to the feed mill, Hiram Capwell had a warehouse built on this site in 1864. Later through other owners Edmond Andrew with his brothers, possessed the warehouse and built an elevator in 1874 for storing and transferring grain to a train car. This elevator was destroyed by fire in 1882. Another bigger elevator was built in its place, having a capacity of nearly 100,000 bushels and was considered the best elevator between Chicago and Winona. No longer needed, the elevator was torn down by the railroad officials in 1915. Before the laying of the rails, the farmers and merchants traveled by oxen and wagon to the nearest market. Usually, their night lodging would be under the wagons. The coming of the railroad enabled a shorter route to market that allowed shipping animals, grain, wool, butter, eggs, produce and delivered goods to the local stores.
All documents and photo’s are property of Sharon George, who has graciously offered to share them.